Hello Friends & Fans of Tri-Shark Classic! We are looking forward to our 2023 event!!! Our goal is to give you a competitive racing experience in a fun, safe and healthy environment.
Tri-Shark Classic Triathlon has been selected as the 2023 USA Triathlon Illinois State Championship for Age Group, High School Clubs and Adult Clubs!!!
Tri-Shark Triathlon: 600 yard swim / 13 mile bike / 5K run.
Tri-Shark Duathlon: 2 mile run / 13 mile bike / 5K run.
Tri-Shark Classic 2023 Event Schedule
|Thursday, Jun 1, 2023|
|4:00 pm – 6:30 pm:||Packet pick-up: Vitesse/Often Running
206 S Linden St, Normal, IL 61761; 309-452-7749
|Friday, Jun 2, 2023 – Comlara Park Race Site
|4:00 pm – 7:00 pm:||Packet pick-up: Pavillion|
|5:30 pm – 6:30 pm:||Practice Swim: Boat Launch/Swim Start|
|5:30 pm – 6:30 pm:||Youth Splash & Dash Event: Beach Facility|
|Saturday, Jun 3, 2023||RACE DAY!!!|
|5:45 am – 6:30 am:||Sponsor Setup|
|6:30 am – 7:40 am:||Transition Area Available|
|6:30 am – 7:15 am:||Packet pick-up/body marking|
|7:00 am to last wave||Swim warm-up area open (swim warm-up area closes during Pre-race meeting)|
|7:40 AM||Pre-race meeting at swim start/beach area|
|8:00 AM||Race start (wave start schedule published race week)|
|10:30 AM||Awards presentation|
- Tri-Shark Classic is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event and ALL USA Triathlon Rules are in effect
- Body-marking required for all Triathlon participants
- Packet pickup at transition South entrance race morning
- Participants are required to be completely self-sufficient on the race course
- Participants must be in good health and symptom free from any illness for at least 14 days prior to the event
- A sticker will be provided with your race number on it. The sticker should be placed on your bike handle bar stem. When the race is over, you must match your run bib with the sticker to remove your bike from the transition area.
- The transition area will be secured until 10:30 am. When exiting the transition area after the race, you will be asked to match your race bib number with the number on your bike.
- Participants must register online in advance. No paper registration will be offered. No race day registration.
- Registration for the event will close on June 1st at 12:00 PM (noon).
PARKING & ARRIVAL
- Parking is available in the park as illustrated below
- No cars allowed into the park after 7:15 AM – Our course is setup on the entrance/exit road into the race area. We must close the road with enough time to setup the course on the road before the race start.
- Proceed to transition for setup according to the schedule listed above
All participants will be placed into a start wave based on selections made during registration.
2023 Waves & Start times:
|Wave #||Group(s) Included||Cap/Rack Color||Start Time|
|1D||All Duathlon||None||8:00 AM|
|1||Men 39 and under||Neon Orange||8:00 AM|
|2||Men 40-54||Neon Yellow||8:03 AM|
|3||Men 55 and up + RELAY||Blue||8:06 AM|
|4||Women 44 and under||Neon Green||8:09 AM|
|5||Women 45 and over||Lt. Blue||8:12 AM|
- Available for setup 6:30 AM to 7:40 AM. Transition will close to participants promptly at 7:40 AM
- You must show valid I.D. (state issued I.D. card) to pickup packet and enter transition.
- Participants must enter through South entrance to transition
- Body marking and packet pickup (race morning) takes place at the transition area South entrance.
- Bike racks are organized by start waves. Racks have colored wave tags that correspond to participant swim cap colors. 7 bikes per rack maximum. Please be considerate and respectful to fellow participants with transition space and setup.
- No glass containers in the transition area.
- Only participants are allowed in the transition area.
- Port-O-Johns are located near the transition area.
Triathlon participants will start based on wave assignment schedule listed above. (Waves assigned race week). ALL Duathlon participants will start together during the first wave start time at 8:00 AM at the starting line near the swim start/boat ramp.
- Bibs REQUIRED to be worn while on the RUN course from start to finish
- Minimal volunteers or marshals will be on course. It is your responsibility to know the course, and run it safely.
- All bike course turns will be labeled with a directional sign and pavement paint leading into each turn.
- For Run 2, water will be on the course at mile 1 and 2.1 on the run course.
- All USA Triathlon rules will be enforced (Most Common Rules Violations).
FINISH LINE & POST-RACE
- Upon crossing the finish line, participants must continue moving towards the exit of the finish area.
- At the finish line, water and a “to-go” sack lunch (Avanti’s Gondola & Chocolate Chip Cookie) will be available for each participant.
- As all bikers complete the course, cars will be able to exit the park. PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION EXITING THE PARK AS THERE WILL BE PARTICIPANTS USING THE SAME ROADWAY.
- Race results will be posted onsite – weather dependent.
- Participants who opted in will receive a text message with their time shortly after crossing the finish line.
- With the wave starts the final race results will not be final until all racers have finished. Race results will be posted live, but will likely change throughout the morning as more waves finish. Results will be posted here: https://tri-shark.org/results/
- Top 3 M/F Overall (will remain in age group)
- Top 3 M/F High School (will remain in age group)
- Top 3 M/F/NB in each age group: 14 and under, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, … 75-79, 80-84, 85-89
- Top 1 M in each Clydesdale age group: 39 and under, 40-59, 60+
- Top 1 F in each Athena age group: 39 and under, 40-54, 55+
- Top 1 M/F Overall (will not remain in age group)
- Top 3 M/F/NB in each age group: 39 and under, 40+
- Triathlon Relay
- Top 1 Relay in each Category Type: M, F, Coed
- Duathlon Relay
- Top 2 Relays
- Club Awards
- Fastest Overall Club (Minimum 3 participants)
- Fastest High School Club (Minimum 3 participants)
- Largest Participating Club
Participants who registered as Clydesdales or Athenas will be asked to weigh in on race day. Entrants in this division are not eligible for age group awards. Note: you are not required to enter as a Clydesdale or Athena just because you meet the weight requirements. (220 lbs. for men; 165 lbs. for women)
- Lost and found is located at the DJ table.
Event Transfer Policy
Transfers available until May 1st. $25 Transfer fee. There are no deferrals to future Tri-Shark Classic events.
Event Cancellation / Modification Policy
If natural disaster or community disaster occurs, our action steps are as follows:
- Path Performance Events in concert with local officials will make decisions based on safety first.
- Courses and/or race segments will be altered as agreed to between Path Performance Events and local officials.
- Financial: It is not financially feasible for Path Performance Events to accept the risk of a disaster for everyone. Each registered participant needs to accept the risk of his or her entry fee. There are NO REFUNDS or free entries to future races. The money you paid is spent developing the subject event.
- Path Performance Events does not save any money if one of our events has to be canceled for reasons beyond our control. All supplies and services needed for the events are purchased and/or arranged in advance. All event supplies and services associated with that event must be paid for, regardless of the outcome.
Tri-Shark Classic may be delayed or cancelled due to extreme weather, pandemic or other emergency.
Comlara County Park
The transition area is a large, paved parking lot located next to the beach house and main boat launch.
Parking is located in gravel lots next to the transition area. Overflow parking available in grass next to transition.