For 2021 we have modified our procedures significantly in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, USA Triathlon, State of Illinois and local public health department recommendations.
KEY CHANGES FOR 2021:
- Packet pickup on race morning ONLY – no pre race-day packet pickup
- No body-marking
- Bib-numbered transition racks (listed on rack ends)
- Packets at transition South entrance race morning – see TRANSITION SETUP SCHEDULE
- Bibs REQUIRED to be worn from start to finish – no exceptions
- Scheduled transition setup times
- No award ceremony; No post-race gathering
- Post-race sack lunch and water are “to-go” near the finish line
- Pack-up gear to leave upon finishing your event
- Participants are required to be completely self-sufficient on the race course
- Participants must follow all State of Illinois and McLean County face mask and safe distancing guidelines – **See current IL Bridge Phase Guidelines below
- Participants must be in good health and symptom free from any illness for at least 14 days prior to the event
- A sticker will be provided with your race number on it. The sticker should be placed on your bike handle bar stem. When the race is over, you must match your run bib with the sticker to remove your bike from the transition area.
- The transition area will be secured until 10:30 am. When exiting the transition area after the race, you will be asked to match your race bib number with the number on your bike.
- Participants must register online in advance. No paper registration will be offered. No race day registration.
- Participants will sign up for a designated start time. There is a strict limit for each assigned start time that are available on a first come, first serve basis.
PARKING & ARRIVAL
- Parking is available in the park as illustrated below
- No cars allowed into the park after 7:15 AM – Our course is setup on the entrance/exit road into the race area. We must close the road with enough time to setup the course on the road before the race start.
- Proceed to transition for setup at your assigned time – see TRANSITION SETUP SCHEDULE
To avoid exceeding current gathering limits set by the State of Illinois**, we using limited sized starting waves. When registering for Tri-Shark Classic, each participant selected a start Wave. There has been a small modification to the waves and therefore you might have a slightly different start time than you selected at registration. Please take a moment and confirm your start time by referencing the participant list: https://runsignup.com/Race/FindARunner/?raceId=41885.
Below are the start times for each wave:
- Wave 1 – 8:00AM
- Wave 2 – 8:03AM
- Wave 3 – 8:06AM
- Wave 4 – 8:09AM
TRANSITION SETUP SCHEDULE
To avoid exceeding current gathering limits set by the State of Illinois**, we are scheduling specific times for groups to setup transition space. Each group will have 30 minutes to enter, setup and exit transition. Arrive at transition (south entrance) no earlier than 2 minutes before your allotted setup time. Please follow these groupings and times to help us stay within Illinois gathering limits**. Transition setup times by groups are as follows:
- You must show valid I.D. (state issued I.D. card) to pickup packet and enter transition.
- Participants must enter through South entrance to transition
- 6:50AM – 7:20AM: Waves 1 & 2
- 7:25AM – 7:55AM: Waves 3 & 4
- Participants must remain socially distant while waiting to enter transition and when in transition.
We ask all participants to wait to line up for your starting wave until the previous wave has passed through the Start/Finish line. The start will be two (2) single file lines, 6-feet apart and 6-feet behind the participant in front. Each wave will be separated by 3 minutes to help ensure separation on the course. Please follow these guidelines to help us stay within Illinois gathering limits**:
- Line up on the designated cones (6 feet apart) no earlier than 1 minute before your designated time.
- Participants will not be allowed to congregate or conduct any race preparation (warm-ups, stretching, adjusting or changing apparel, etc.) in the starting area. You should approach the starting line ready to run.
- Participants must remain socially distant from one another at the start line.
- Participants will cross timing equipment at the start line. Once you cross the timing equipment, your time will start.
- Bibs REQUIRED to be worn while on course from start to finish – No Bib = Disqualification – No Exceptions
- Minimal volunteers or marshals will be on course. It is your responsibility to know the course, and run it safely.
- All bike course turns will be labeled with a directional sign and pavement paint leading into each turn.
- For Run 2, water will be on the course at mile 1 and 2.1 on the run course. Water bottles will be sealed unopened 16 oz and you will have to open them. You can provide your own hydration along the course if you have special needs. Recycle bins will be nearby to toss your empties.
- All USA Triathlon rules will be enforced (Most Common Rules Violations).
FINISH LINE & POST-RACE
- Upon completing their run and crossing the finish line, participants must continue moving towards the exit of the finish area.
- At the finish line, water and a “to-go” sack lunch (Avanti’s Gondola & Chocolate Chip Cookie) will be available for each participant. There will not post-race activities for 2021.
- We have been asked to instruct participants to pack up gear and load up cars and depart the event venue as soon as practical after completing the event. While packing up gear in transition, please be mindful of those athletes still on the course.
- There will be no award ceremony and no post-race gathering
- As all bikers complete the course, cars will be able to exit the park. PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION EXITING THE PARK AS THERE WILL BE PARTICIPANTS USING THE SAME ROADWAY.
- Race results will not be posted onsite.
- Participants who opted in will receive a text message with their time shortly after crossing the finish line.
- With the wave starts the final race results will not be final until all racers have finished. Race results will be posted live, but will likely change throughout the morning as more waves finish. Results will be posted here: https://tri-shark.org/results/
AWARDS – Tri-Shark Classic
- For 2021 race award categories for both Males & Females: Overall Winners, 19 & Under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- Overall male & female winners will receive one (1) free entry into the 2022 Tri-Shark Classic
- 1st place in each Age Group will receive $25 off entry into the 2022 Tri-Shark Classic
- Award details will be emailed to each award winner
USA Triathlon Age Group Duathlon World Championship Qualification
- First place Age Group winners for both Males & Females earn a qualification spot for either the 2021 or 2022 Duathlon World Championships
- Qualification Age Group Categories: 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 60-64, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94
- USA Triathlon will contact all qualifiers directly
- Slot selection and notification will be done by USA Triathlon in the days following the event. Any athlete questions should be sent to USA Triathlon here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants who registered as Clydesdales or Athenas will be asked to weigh in on race day. Entrants in this division are not eligible for age group awards. Note: you are not required to enter as a Clydesdale or Athena just because you meet the weight requirements. (220 lbs. for men; 165 lbs. for women)
- Lost and found is located at the DJ table.
**GUIDELINES EXCERPT FROM THE STATE OF ILLINOIS BRIDGE PHASE ORDER
Public health requirements for individuals
Individuals must take the following public health steps to protect their own and their neighbors’ health and lives:
- Social distancing. To the extent individuals who are not fully vaccinated are using shared spaces when outside their residence, including when outdoors, they must at all times and as much as reasonably possible maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person who does not live with them.
- Face coverings. Any individual who is not fully vaccinated and who is over age two and able to medically tolerate a face covering (a mask or cloth face covering) shall be required to cover their nose and mouth with a face covering when in a public place and unable to maintain a six-foot social distance. This requirement applies whether in an indoor space, such as a store, or in a public outdoor space where maintaining a six-foot social distance is not always possible.
Event Transfer Policy
No transfers available.
Event Cancellation / Modification Policy
If natural disaster or community disaster occurs, our action steps are as follows:
- Path Performance Events in concert with local officials will make decisions based on safety first.
- Courses and/or race segments will be altered as agreed to between Path Performance Events and local officials.
- Financial: It is not financially feasible for Path Performance Events to accept the risk of a disaster for everyone. Each registered participant needs to accept the risk of his or her entry fee. There are NO REFUNDS or free entries to future races. The money you paid is spent developing the subject event.
- Path Performance Events does not save any money if one of our events has to be canceled for reasons beyond our control. All supplies and services needed for the events are purchased and/or arranged in advance. All event supplies and services associated with that event must be paid for, regardless of the outcome.
Tri-Shark Classic may be delayed or cancelled due to extreme weather, pandemic or other emergency.
Comlara County Park
The transition area is a large, paved parking lot located next to the beach house and main boat launch.
Parking is located in gravel lots next to the transition area. Overflow parking available in grass next to transition.